Kykkos monastery is dedicated to the Virgin Mary (Panagia) and this is the reason the locals call it "The Panagia tou Kykkou". The monastery was founded in 1100, during the reign of Emperor Alexios Komninos, and now is the largest and the most charismatic monastery on the island.
The museum is an integral part of the monastery and houses a priceless collection of icons. The first President of the Republic of Cyprus, Archbishop Makarios III, served here as a novice. At his own wish he was buried on the summit of Throni, 3 kilometres west of the monastery.
Location: Troodos | Near Mylikouri Village.