Kamares (Greek for arches) is the name given to part of the aqueduct that carried water from the Tremythos river into the city of Larnaka In the mid 19th century.
Larnaka had rapid growth, due to the high commercial traffic in the harbor, which caused an increase of the population, thus leading to increased water demand.
Then the Ottoman Governor of Cyprus was Abu Bekir Pasha, offered 50,000 free piastres for the construction of the aqueduct, which was built in 1846 and was in operation until 1939. Kamares (The Arches) today are one of the most visited places in the city of Larnaka.
Kamares today are one of the most visited places in the city of Larnaca.