a capital with a vast history!
Nicosia is the capital and largest city of Cyprus situated in the centre of the island. Nicosia is currently the only divided capital in the world, with the southern (cypriot) and northern (under turkish occupation) portions divided by the "Green Line". In antiquity and in early Christian times it was known as Ledra.
B.C. (Before Christ)
30th century B.C.: The first settlement was found, where the capital city of Nicosia is today.
1050 B.C.: Ledra (Nicosia) city was originally established.
672 B.C.: The kingdom of Ledra was destroyed by Assyrians. Onasagoras became the most popular king of Ledra.
280 B.C.: Ledra was renamed Lefkothea, after the son of the Egyptian king Ptolemy (Lefkona).
AD (Anno Domini /Medieval Latin Language – The year of our Lord)
330 A.D: Nicosia came under the control of the Byzantines.
965 A.D: Cyprus rejoined the Byzantine Empire. Salamis was the capital.
1192 A.D: Under the Frankish occupation, Nicosia became the new capital town of the island. The Lusignans (French Royal Family) built an important number of monuments, such as churches, monasteries, palaces e.t.c.
1374 A.D: Nicosia was occupied and ravaged by the Genoans and then from Mamaluks (Egyptians).
1489 A.D: Cyprus came under Venetian rule; Nicosia became their administrative center and the seat of the Republic of Venice.
1567 A.D: The Venetians built the fortification with the eleven bastions to protect the inhabitants from imminent Ottoman attack.
1570 A.D: Nicosia managed to last 40 days under siege until its fall on September the 9.
1878 A.D: After Ottomans occupation, Nicosia's administration changed hands and passed to the British possession.
1960 A.D: Nicosia became the capital of the Republic of Cyprus.
1974 A.D: Nicosia divided by the Turkish invasion