The village of Eledio is a very small village in the province of Pafos. It has less than fifty inhabitants. Originally, the village of Eledio was about 2 km south, but it was moved to its present location after the earthquakes of 1953, when the village suffered serious damage. Along with Eledio, the earthquake suffered serious damage and the neighboring village of Axylos.
Eleidi was a mixed village and was inhabited by Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots. The British Colonial Government of Cyprus has decided to move the villages of Eledio and Axylos to another location (close to one another) by building houses for the residents.
In the old village of Eleidi there was until 1821 the Holy Monastery of Saint Irene. During the earthquakes of 1953, the church of Saint Irene became dilapidated but not destroyed. However, due to the indifference of the inhabitants, the Government and the Metropolis of Pafos, it collapsed after nothing was done by anyone for its maintenance.
Today the temple of the Monastery of Agia Irini in the old village of Eledio lies in ruins. In the new village they built a very beautiful, small temple, which was once again dedicated to Saint Irene as a replacement for the old temple.