Vitamin D
Thursday 11/01/2024

Vitamin D

The vitamin of sun

Vitamin D (D3) belongs to the group of vitamins A, D, E, K and is fat-soluble, as the presence of fat is required for its absorption by the body. It is a steroid hormone produced from cholesterol when our skin is exposed to sunlight and for this reason it is called the "sunshine vitamin".

The largest percentage (90%) in vitamin D is made by exposure of the skin to the sun and the remaining 10% comes from food. Usually, 10-15 minutes of sun exposure in spring and summer are sufficient to synthesize the necessary amount of Vitamin D, while the time is twice as long during the winter months.

There are very few foods that contain significant amounts of this vitamin and this makes its deficiency particularly common. Sources of vitamin D are fatty fish (salmon, mackerel, tuna, cod, trout, sardines), cod oil, egg yolk, shrimp, margarine, enriched cereals, enriched dairy products.

Vitamin D is very important for bone and tooth health. Recent studies have also highlighted its role in the overall health of the body, as it has been shown to help improve immune function, prevent viruses and manage certain autoimmune diseases, it can help reduce the risk of respiratory infections. It also contributes to the prevention of other serious diseases (hypertension, psoriasis, dementia), osteoporosis as its main action is to increase the absorption of calcium from the intestine. Many researchers agree that it helps prevent diseases of the heart and blood vessels. According to several studies there is a correlation between low levels of vitamin D in the body and an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. Also, vitamin D has been found to be beneficial in conditions such as obesity, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, endothelial healing , strengthening the gut microbiome.