Kato Kivides

Kato Kivides

Due to the many floods and erosion, the houses collapsed

Kivides is a small picturesque village in the Limassol province. It is approximately 25km from the city of Limassol.

Historical data:
The Kato Kivides village has been abandoned and transported to Pano Kivides in 1970. Due to the many floods and erosion, houses collapsed, around 500 people were transferred to the new village and named Pano Kivides.
Photo: Marios Apostolides‎

According to the historical sources, Kato Kivides existed at least from the period of the Frankish rule (1192-1489 BC). This settlement was built at an altitude of 520 metres on a relatively steep hillside that was considered dangerous.
Photo: M‎arios Apostolides

The Name of the Village:
For how the village got its name, there are two versions as mentioned in the Great Cyprus Encyclopedia. According to the first version during the period of the Frankish rule (1192-1489 AD), a well-known medieval family of nobles of Cyprus "de Chivides" lived in Pano Kivides. Unfortunately, however, we can not know whether the medieval family de Cibeles got its family name from the village or if the opposite happened, if the village got its name from the family. According to a second version, Kato Kivides took its name from the "kividiotiki petra (meaning cubic stone)" that came out of the earth naturally in the shape of a cube.

Sights and Churches:
Visitors of Kato Kivides will be impressed by the cobblestone streets. Despite the devastation of the place, you will see the remnants of houses, the grocery store, one of the cafes, the church of St. George and the church of Agios Georgios still functional. All the buildings were stone-made, specimens of semi-mountainous architecture, built amphitheatrically on the steep hillside.
Photo: Marios Apostolides‎

In the centre of Kato Kivides dominates the church of St. George, built in 1931 and 1941. It seems to have replaced an older church of the 18th century. It is kept until today (2018) and it is in operation once a month. Additionally, in the village of Kato Kivides there are the remnants of the first village school built next to the church since 1930, which consists of only one room. Later a second school was built on the edge of the village.
Photo: Marios Apostolides‎

It is worth mentioning that there are 10 faucets built in 1953, when the inhabitants of the village brought water from the mountain to their village.
Photo: Marios Apostolides‎

Population:
As mentioned above, the village has been empty since the 1970s. More specifically, the inhabitants of the village in 1946 were 102, in 1960 117 and according to the 1973 census they were 539 when they were transferred to the new village in 1970.
Photo: Marios Apostolides‎

For the map of the area, click HERE

Other Related Articles

κατασκευή και σχεδιασμός ιστοσελίδας