Prastio Kellakiou is built approximately 27 kilometres northeast of the city of Limassol, at an average altitude of 490 meters. Due to its proximity to the village of Kellaki it is also known as Prastio Kellaki.
At the administrative boundaries of the village there is also a large part of Limassol State Forest with the typical Cypriot flora and fauna, such as endemic birds and hares.
Photo: Constantinos Neophytou
Historical data and the name of the village:
It is likely that during the Medieval years the area had only farms and was not a village, since it is not mentioned in any Medieval sources.
The name of the village relates to the Byzantine years. Several scholars claim that the name "Prastio" derives from the French medieval word "Prasti" meaning field. It was a place-name for farms/ranches that belonged to certain Feuds.
However, the name seems to be purely Greek and of the Byzantine times, coming from the word "proastion" that means "settlement near the city" (pros to asti).
It is worth noting that during the Middle Ages many small settlements in various parts of Cyprus were called Prastio, since they were small agricultural settlements close to large settlements to which they belonged.
Photo: Filippos Athanasiou
Churches & Sights:
Taking a stroll through the village, a visitor can see the beautiful and impressive churches, among them the Church of Panagia Eleousa, it is the central church of the village, building of 1679. Notable and impressive is the church of Panagia Foinikion, located 2 kilometres southwest of the village, based on what the Department of Antiquities found, it is believed to have once been a monastery, which appears to have been destroyed by fire.
In Prastio Kellakiou there is also the Museum of Stones which presents various types of rocks in the area, the "Eliomilos" Museum which is a traditional olive mill and the Museum of Wine which aims to showcase the traditional way of making wine.
Prastio Kellakiou has experienced large population fluctuations. In 1881 the population of the village was 154, which increased in 1891 to 191, but decreased to 177 in 1901. In 1921 it increased to 196. In 1931 the population decreased to 157 but then increased to 221 in 1946. The population was then reduce to 195 in 1960. In 1973 they decreased to 143. In 1982 it was 108 and according to the 2001 census it was 98.
Photo: Panik Micael
Crops and Occupations:
In the village citrus fruits mainly mandarins, olives, almonds, locusts, plums, some vegetables are cultivated. There are also several uncultivated areas occupied by wild natural vegetation.
In the past, the inhabitants of the village were mainly involved in viticulture. Nowadays, vineyards have been replaced with vegetable, tomato and cucumber crops. Karouzis adds, "It is with great difficulty that one sees vineyards today in Prastio, apart from the pergolas in the entrance of houses".
It is worth noting that within the administrative boundaries of the Prastio Kellakiou community, there are also three quarters of the quarrying zone operating in the area. These quarries are that of "Kosta Kithreoti", that of "Skiramon", and that of "Metcom".
For the map of the area click HERE