Lagia or Lageia is a village of the Larnaka mountains and we can find it a few kilometres after Lefkara. It is connected to the northwest with the village of Ora and to the east with the village of Vavla.
The population of Lageia has experienced a downward trend and today it is a small but beautiful picturesque village. More specifically, in 1946 it had 119 inhabitants, which in 1960 declined to 77, in 1982 to 29, in 1992 and 2001 to 22. According to the 2011 census, Lageia had 28 inhabitants.
The name of the village:
According to the historian Nearchos Clerides, Lageia was named after the verb "Lagiazo" which means "calmness, relaxation, tranquility". This name was attributed to the village due to the fact that Lageia offers a quiet life away from the harshness and noise of large villages and towns.
Sights and Churches:
Taking a walk in Lageia, you will be impressed by the architecture of the beautiful traditional houses are built on the sidewalks next to each other.
To the southwest of the village dominates the wooded temple dedicated to the Dormition of the Mother of God, built in the 18th century. It is the only church in the province of Larnaka that is dedicated to the Dormition of the Mother of God.
It is noteworthy that Mr. Gunnis who passed through the village of Lageia in 1936 tells us that he saw some interesting pictures of the 16th century. He specifically mentions a portable icon of the Virgin Mary of the early 16th century and another icon, also of the Virgin Mary, which holds Christ and dates back to 1559, that is, at the end of the Venetian domination.
Layeia is also famous for the many well-scattered fountains with the most famous and as a symbol of the community the fountain of "Palaia Vrisi", built in 1709. This stone-built faucet is situated in a verdant wild landscape and access to it is made from a straight downhill alley.
A mile away from Lageia you can see a monument dedicated to the hero Nikos Andreas Kyriakou who has been missing since July 23, 1974 and whose bones were found by DNA analysis.
The hero was burried on August 23rd, 2016 in Avgorou.
For the map of the area, click HERE