Kokkinotrimithia

Kokkinotrimithia

It is divided into three residential areas and it is an industrial area for the capital.

Kokkinotrimithia is a village in Nicosia which is 20 km away.

Kokkinotrimithia is borders Mammari, which is to the north, Paliometocho that is to the southwest, Akaki to the west and Nicosia to the east of the village.
Photo: Χαράλαμπος Ιακώβου

The village is divided into three residential areas and it is an industrial area for the capital. According to the 2011 census it had 4.077 inhabitants while in 2013 the population increased to 5000.
Photo: Χαράλαμπος Ιακώβου

The History of the Village:
Kokkinotrimithia appears on the Venetian maps as Tremitusa. According to Boustronius, Kokkinotrimithia was granted to Belaraz in the 14th century, while in 1464-1468 it was granted to the Venetian Luca Bradadino.

The village became well-known for the concentration camp-detention camp located about 2 kilometers to the east of the village and they functioned from the end of 1955 until the beginning of 1959. There, hundreds of Greek Cypriots were imprisoned during the liberation struggle of EOKA 1955-1959. The reason for rebuilding the camp, by the English, was to imprison political prisoners during the liberation struggle.
Photo: Χαράλαμπος Ιακώβου

After the Turkish invasion in 1974, Kokkinotrimithia received several refugees, thus increasing its population, while two refugee settlements were created. It is worth mentioning that in Kokkinotrimithia in the first half of the 20th century, there was a train station in the building that is now a Police Station.

Sights and churches of Kokkinotrimithia:
Taking a walk in the village you can see six churches. Four of them are of particular interest mainly to their age and architecture.

In the center of the village, between the churches, the Archangel Michael and St. George, dominates the church of the Virgin Mary, built in 1905 dedicated to the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. The church is built on a one-aisled basilica with western-style triangles and arches.
Photo: Kyriaki Gregoriou‎

The church of Agios Georgios follows a Byzantine style and is believed to have been built in the 11th or 12th centuries above the ruins of an older temple. The church of Archangel Michael is one of the oldest of the churches of the village, built in the 16th or 17th century and is built in the old cemetery of the village. The church of Agios Mamantos is located to the west of the village, the church of Apostle Barnabas is a new building that was first opened in Christmas of 2005. Finally, the church of Saint Eleftherios.
Photo: Mageiroudes Photographia

The centre of the community hosts beautiful examples of local architecture. Stone-built houses with the characteristic red colour that today constitute (2018) a testimony of the old rural life in the village.

The village of Kokkinotrimithia also has two primary schools, a kindergarten and a regional high school.
Photo: Ιωάννης Φιλίππου

For the map of the area, click HERE

Other Related Articles

κατασκευή και σχεδιασμός ιστοσελίδας