Treis Elies

Treis Elies

Venetian bridges, nature trails, sulphur spring next to the river Dhiarizos...

Treis Elies is a village in the Limassol district located on the northwestern edge of the city and belongs to South Marathasa. The village is built on the outskirts of the tributary of the River Dhiarizos at an average altitude of 1000 meters.

The village of Treis Elies is approximately 9 kilometres southwest of Prodromos and it borders to the northeast with Lemithou, to the southwest with Kaminaria, to the east with Palaiomylos and to the southeast with Agios Dimitrios.
Photo: Κυπρος Και Ελλαδα Μια Σελιδα Ενα Δεσιμο Μια Αγαπη

The name of the Village:
According to Nearchos Clerides, the name of the village of Treis Elies (three olives) is due to the existence of three olive trees, a rarity for this mountainous area. Thus the village was named Treis Elies from these olive trees.

Historical Data: 
According to historical reports, during the Venetian occupation the village was one of the twenty-four villages of the Marathasa region that were subject to the Venetian Republic's estates.

The village seems to have existed since the end of the Frankish rule in the 15th century, as evident by the existence of the iconostasis in the church of Archangel Michael.
Photo: Κυπρος Και Ελλαδα Μια Σελιδα Ενα Δεσιμο Μια Αγαπη

It is worth noting that, at the end of the 2nd century AD. Agios Charalambos lived in the village, as did Archbishop Chrysanthos of the Treis Elies, one of the most important figures of the era of the Turkish occupation, as well as other prominent personalities.

Attractions and Churches in Treis Elies:
Shortly before entering the village, the visitor will pass by the hill at the top of the famous "katsounopetros". It is a striking rock, reminiscent of a bird's head looking westward.
Photo: Κυπρος Και Ελλαδα Μια Σελιδα Ενα Δεσιμο Μια Αγαπη

Entering the village, the first thing that impresses is the greenery that spreads throughout the village and the traditional architecture of the houses.

Walking through the village, you will find the main church of the village, the church of Panagia Chrysosotira and the church of Archangel Michael. There are various chapels in the village, such as the 17th century wooden chapel of Agia Paraskevi, Agios Andronikos and Prophet Elias which is built about 3 kilometres north of the 17th or 18th century village building.
Photo: Κυπρος Και Ελλαδα Μια Σελιδα Ενα Δεσιμο Μια Αγαπη

In addition, in the village of Treis Elies there are Venetian bridges to the south of the community, a nature trail characterised by rich natural vegetation, sulphur spring northeast of the river Dhiarizos and quite a few centuries-old trees.
Photo: Κυπρος Και Ελλαδα Μια Σελιδα Ενα Δεσιμο Μια Αγαπη

During its long history, the Treis Elies community has experienced large population fluctuations. In 1881 its population was 180, rising to 239 in 1891 and decreasing to 162 in 1901. In 1911 the population numbered 279, and in 1931 it was 316. In 1946 it rose to 406. In 1960 the population was 381 and in 1973 it declined to 237. In 1982 they were reduced to 129 and in 2001 to 65. Today, the village has 57 inhabitants. 

Crops and Activities:
The inhabitants of the village are engaged in agriculture. Apple trees, cherry trees, pear trees, plum trees and vineyards are grown in the area.
Photo: Κυπρος Και Ελλαδα Μια Σελιδα Ενα Δεσιμο Μια Αγαπη

For the map of the area click HERE

Other Related Articles