Prodromos is a village in the Limassol province that belongs to the geographical region of Southern Marathas.
The village of Prodromos is about 60 kilometres northwest of Limassol and is built at an average altitude of 1,380 meters.
In the north it borders with the village of Pedoulas, in the northwest with the monastery of Panagia Kykkou, in the west with the village of Lemithou, in the southeast with the village of Pano Platres and in the southwest with the village of Paliomilos.
Photo: Michalis Paikousis
The name of the village:
The village of Prodromos was named after Saint John the Prodromos.
Prodromos is marked on Medieval maps with the exact same name as "Prodromo", which indicates its existence since the Medieval times. During this period, according to historical sources it constituted a fief, probably belonging to one of the two Marathas, since during the period of Franks, Marathasa was separated into two big departments from which the one was a royal property and the other was property of earl Edessa.
Churches and Sights:
At Prodromos, a visitor can find beautiful and remarkable churches and chapels. The church of Ioannis Prodromos, from which the village was named, it is the central church and it is built in the centre of the village, among the traditional houses of the community. It should be noted that the first old church was a timber-roofed, 13th-century building, built exactly on the same site as the present one. However, it was demolished by the inhabitants because it was not well maintained and in 1935 the present church was built.
In the village of Prodromos there is also the chapel of Agios Onoufrios, a 14th-century building that has suffered extensive fire damage. The chapel of the Holy Trinity, a 1931 building that is located in the cemetery.
The Monastery of Panagia Trikoukia, located 2 kilometres from Prodromos, towards Platres. The name is said to have come from the trikoukkies (loquat tress that had three pips). Another version states that the name was given to the Kokkonia tree, according to which it was also named after the nearby Kykkos Monastery. In 1761 the Monastery was renovated and was still in operation until the late 18th century, when it was destroyed.
Photo: Yiannis Makriyianni
Apart from the churches and religious monuments of Prodromos, the magnificent building of the village is the hotel "Berengaria" which in its operation attracted a number of prominent personalities, which is why it was also called "the hotel of kings".
Its name probably came from the Queen of Navarre, Berengaria, wife of Richard I the Lionheart. The Berengaria hotel was closed in 1984. The building has remained deserted since then, with the Prodromos community intending to reopen it, in order to attract thousands of tourists.
Photo: Doros ATheodorou
Finally, at Prodromos there is a Heritage Monument, a playground, a Fence, campsites such as the "Kalogi Kampi" camp and the Ministry of Education camp site. Also in the village of Prodromos there are wonderful Nature Trails such as the Prodromos - Zoumi Nature Trail and the College Forest Trails.
Photo: Yiannis Makriyianni
Prodromos saw steady population growth from 1881 until 1946. More specifically, in 1881 its population was 200, rising to 506 by 1946. In 1960, the population decreased to 484 and again in 1973 to 416. In 1976, the population increased to 505 and was reduced to 318 in 1982. In 2001 the population of the village was 147.
The Climate of Prodromos:
Prodromos is characterised by cold and rainy winters and cool and dry summers. During the winter months, in addition to the very heavy rainfall, it receives heavy snowfall. Sometimes the temperature drops below zero. On the other summer months, its cool hygienic climate and its tranquil environment attract many Cypriot vacationers who rent houses there during the summer months.
Prodromos has experienced great tourist development due to the amazing climate and the hotel Berengaria and three other small hotels. Famous figures have passed from the hotel Berengaria, from countries of Europe and Middle East, such as the king of Egypt Farouk and the chairman of Israel Ezer Vaisman.
Crops, occupations and products:
Various species of deciduous fruit trees such as apple, cherry, plum, pear and peach trees are grown in the area. It is a village well known for the excellent quality of its apples.
In addition to Prodromos there are large areas of uncultivated land where wild vegetation thrives. It is worth noting that the largest water sources not only for Prodromos but also for the entire mountain range of Troodos, are the group sources of Chartzi.
Photo: I Am Limassol
For the map of the area click HERE